Monday, March 25, 2013

Calendar project









I have small wall space in my kitchen so a traditional calendar does not fit.  I decided to wing it and make my own with items mostly found already in my house.  I always have a stash of frames that I by at garage sales.  This one was perfect because the wall I needed to hang my calendar on is about 10 inches wide.  The frame was already painted black so I left it alone.  I went to the craft store and purchased this dark brown cork.  It is thick and heavy duty.  I used a coupon and it comes in a pack of four so If I need to use the rest for something else I can.  I purchased this basic wood frame for $1.00 and painted it a off white craft paint I already had.  I cut the cork easily to fit and then had a space of 2 inches left, so I used the left over piece and covered it with some remnant fabric and just adhered it with my staple gun.  I used jewelry metal that was on clearance for $2.00.  Its easy to cut with just a pair of old scissors.  I found some alphabet tiles that already had a small hole at the top, also used a coupon.  I attached the metal pieces with just push pins, They are easy to cut if you have a metal cutter so you don't have a pin hanging out the back.  then I used a pair of pliers to bend up my pins to make them like a hook. to attach the wood tiles.  I used some scrapbook paper I already had to separate the days and numbers.  Obviously I just wrote the numbers on the back of the alphabet wood pieces.  Just added one of my own pictures in the frame which is easy to change out each month.  altogether I spent $7.70.

1 comment: