Friday, March 29, 2013

Simple medicine chest

I was at an antique shop with my hubby and there was this really cute medicine cabinet.  They wanted $150.00.  That is way out of my budget.  I came up with this idea with mostly items I already have. (Sorry I didn't take step by step pictures).  I had one of those 1980's oak wall shelves.  Still in great condition, but very oak.  I also had a gold frame in garage, that was not a pretty shade of gold.  1st step: I cleaned and lightly sanded both.  2nd step :I used some paint leftovers in my garage.  The paint I used was a paint in primer all in one.  let it dry over night.  3rd step: I lightly sanded the edges.  basically I did this a total of 3 times so it would really look antique with the layers of paint.  4th step: I used a stain marker to go over the areas were the wood was showing through and wiped away the excess with a towel.  5th step:  I applied a finishing wax and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.  Then I buffed with a cloth (one that wont leave lint).  Let it sit over night Step 6: repeat step 5.  Step 7:  I took the frame to my favorite framing shop and they cut the mirror and they applied the epoxy added some foam board and the teeth insets to hold into place.  They only charged me $5.50.  Step 8:  I attached 2 hinges, cost was $2.70.  I also added a magnetic catch to hold the door closed, cost $1.00.  step 9: I added a crystal door knob, cost was $3.50.  Step 10: added two crystal door knobs where the 2 wooden dowels used to be, cost for set was $12.00.  I loved how it turned out.  I love victorian frames but would work great with a simple frame also.  Total cost $24.70







1 comment: