Thursday, December 1, 2016

DIY portable Gaming / Laptop table

We have a super small space.  My daughter is a gamer and asked me to make a table for her to set her keyboard on when she was playing Final Fantasy.  I couldn't find any tutorials that would work for my space, so I had to come up with my own plan.  I have plenty of lumber from recycling, but not a solid wide light weight piece.  I am a cheap skate, but I reluctantly went to Lowes.  I found a rounded edge 48 X 11 1/2 X 1 inch piece of pine that would work perfectly.  while I was there I purchased a 2 x 3 stud.  They offer up to 4 cuts for free.  The table top was cut to 30 inches.  The legs were each cut to 23 inches long. I do keep anything that I believe with be eventually useful.  I already had 4 3 inch tall castor wheels in my garage.  I also has 4 brackets to strengthen the legs.  This was very simple to build.  I used the rest of the pine for the bottom.  It measured 18 inches in length.  I placed the legs on top and used wood glue and screws to attach.  I then attached the top piece also with wood glue and screws.  I added the brackets next.  Finally I attached the castor wheels.  The height of the table is 28 inches.  It is the perfect height the fit under her chair.  I let her pick what she wanted on top.  I then hand painted the images.  For the final step I used a water based clear polyurethane (several coats) to protect the painting.  My final cost was less than 15 dollars.  I do have paint supplies that people have donated to me over the years.  I also buy the small oops paint when they have a color I like.  If you already have the lumber it could be cheaper or even free.


No comments:

Post a Comment