Friday, April 19, 2013

So I like green

Leave it up to me to have a rug inspire my newest project.  I love green so when I saw this rug of course I thought "Yep I'm going to paint my cabinet sink  cupboards green.  This project only cost me the paint, molding and of course the rug.  I started out with the ugliest cabinets ever.  1st step sand and clean cupboards (remove them first). 2nd step I glued wooden squares and molding I cut to size, let dry completely. 3rd step prime them, let dry.  I then added some black paint and again, let dry.  4th step add (what makes me smile every time I say it) Happy camper green paint.  I used 2 coats, let dry between each coat.  5th step I sanded edges and molding to let black paint show through. You can always add more paint if you sand too much. which I did to give it move depth.  I just wipe away any excess.  Its easiest for me to do this process with a craft sponge brush.  6th step add hardware.  7th step your husband laughs at you because you accidentally put the screwdriver in reverse.  Now my problem was I only had three matching cabinet knobs left so I had 2 brass knobs that matched.  I sanded them and spray painted them black and then once that dried painted again with 2 coats of metallic pewter.  I always like to add some feed and wax to the cabinets when I am done. Total cost molding $12.00, paint $14.00 and rug $30.00.  it's funny the rug was more than the cabinets, oh well
This is the drawer before

afterwards

after

after

the knobs that were originally brass

the rug insporation
what I started with


No comments:

Post a Comment